I served as the Co-Chair for a two day conference in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, September 17-18 2015 that was jointly organized by the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC) in collaboration with the African Engineering Deans Council (AEDC) and hosted by the Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT) and its partner universities. Click on this link to read a short summary about the two day summit .
I worked with my colleague Dr. Zelalem Temesgen (M.D.) from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota USA to organize a two day workshop in Addis Ababa Ethiopia in April 29-30, 2015 under the theme: “Service Science Innovation in Medical Education,” that was hosted by Bahir Dar University. We are exploring different ways of using service science as an enabler to tackle one of the Grand Challenge problems in eHealth. Select this link to read more about the workshop.
Select the link below to read about our current work with five universities in Ethiopia to improve Engineering Education throughout country.
- Outreach work with Debre-Berhan Univeristy funded by ADI vers2 -Fall 2014. We visited Debre Berhan University’s (DBU) “Showa Robit Integrated Agricultural Research and Demonstration Site, ” and saw a demonstration of their “Aquaponis (soilless agriculture)” project. Pictures from visit to Debre Berhan University-May 2014
- Pictures from visit to AAiT- May 9 2014. We are collaborating by using state of the art and inexpensive wireless communication technology called “Dragino” nodes to develop applications for DBU’s “Aquaponis (soilless agriculture)” project.
- We have been working with the electrical and computer engineering department (ECE) of 5 universities in Ethiopia since 2009 by helping them adopt the new Experimental-Centric approach to ECE education that focuses on hands-on applications using state of the art inexpensive and portable laboratory technology and innovative pedagogy. Please read the short report below to get more information about our work. Students from 5 universities in Ethiopia using the Mobile Studio Technology -Report June 2013
Select the link below to read about our work from the conference in Lagos Nigeria to improve Engineering Education throughout Africa.
- Proposal for STEM Conference in Lagos September 9-12 2013 in Collaboration with GEDC and IFEES pt2 -Astatke
- Here are some pictures from the 5th African Regional Conference on Engineering Education (ARCEE) Conference in Lagos, Nigeria September 9-12, 2013